Blog Archives

Back to Work

The truck was totally unloaded on Saturday, and Monday I went back to work.  I started the Nebraska Corrections Training Program on 24 September.  I have completed the first two weeks and I think I am the second-best student in the class, just one point behind the leader.  On Tuesday we have another test and I will see if I can catch him then.  The training on most days has been incredibly boring — just 8 hours of classroom lectures.  But occasionally I am terrified by the thought of working in a prison, especially when we talk about deadly force assaults on staff and communicable diseases.  However, we also get some very helpful training, including 8 hours of CPR, defibrillator, and first aid training last Monday.  This Thursday will be my first chance to step into the prison since we have our first day of OJT.  And next Monday and Tuesday (15 & 16 October) will be our days for learning personal protection techniques.  I will spend the rest of next week (17-19 October) and two days the following week (23-24 October) back in the prison for more OJT.  Graduation is set for 26 October.

Check out this sunrise:


Leave a comment

Filed under Work

Welcome to Nebraska

Wow! After nearly two-and-a-half weeks without internet, I am back. But with limited time. Everything with the move went okay. We left Luke AFB on Friday afternoon, 14 September, and drove to New Mexico. That Saturday, we drove through New Mexico and Texas and arrived in Guymon, OK. Then, on Sunday, we drove through Oklahoma and Kansas, arriving in Nebraska!

Welcome to Nebraska

What a great feeling it was to finally arrive.

We spent those first few nights on the floor on sleeping pads, even my 7-month pregnant bride! On Wednesday, 19 September, the truck was delivered on schedule and we were able to locate one of Caleb’s mattresses, so Gina was able to get a good night’s rest finally. The rest of that week, I spent alot of time unloading items off the truck, trying to limit the amount of help we would need. On Saturday, 22 September, we got help from various family members. First, I have to send a mighty big thanks out to the great G-Pa (Rob) for his amazing help that day. He arrived early and worked all through the day and was there with me on most of the heavy items. We absolutely could not have done it without him.

Second, Gina’s aunt, Mary, was also an amazing help. She brought Gina’s grandfather down from Fremont, which is a long way away from here, so she arrive in the late morning, but she also was a huge help. Every time I looked, she was back in the truck just unloading at a furious speed — there was no way we could keep up with her. We would give her projects to do and she would complete them with an unforeseen vigor and come back for more. She also tackled the task of making my refrigerator small enough to fit through the door (by removing the door and cutting the water line). There was no hurdle too big for her and she never slowed down. Again, we absolutely could not have done it without her help.

Unfortunately, we were not injury-free on Saturday. My father-in-law, Dale, hurt his back very badly that day and spent at least half of the following week bedridden as a result. It was very disappointing and pains me to know of the pain he suffered on our account. As far as I know, he is better now. But I really appreciate the sacrifices he made to be there that day and the further sacrifices he had to make in the week following as a result of the pain from that day.

We also had help from Terry, Tate, Kaia, Dick, Hazel, Carol, and Cassandra. What a big help they all were.

There are so many more things to tell of, but I haven’t the time this morning. TTFN.

Leave a comment

Filed under Moving

Wings of Blue Tandem Jump

There are no words to truly express how I feel about my tandem jump last Monday.  It was crazy!  I don’t understand how anyone can do that repeatedly.  It just feels so wrong and so dangerous.  I don’t think my brain could fully comprehend what was going on.  The whole idea of rolling out of an airplane at 12,000 feet is just so far outside what my brain is used to dealing with.  The tandem master was attached to my back throughout the jump, so I was in front.  We drop from 12,000 feet to 5,000 feet in freefall in about 30-35 seconds, which was downright terrifying, although there really was no sense of falling as we fell, it just felt like we were in a windtunnel.  Just plain crazy.

I got to do the jump as a perk of being in the Air Force, so it was free.  I have a video that I will try to figure out how to get onto DVD so I can share it more readily; right now it is on VHS — do you remember VHS?


Filed under Parachuting